Thursday, April 8, 2010

Quilting is a Journey


"Walking on the road, I realized something amiss,
On turning back I saw my shadow had disappeared,
Leaving me as I went towards the light." (Faiz Khan)


This was supposed to denote a journey across the ocean to Africa, in 1996, for a friend who was going on a mission trip to help in village hospitals. I'm showing it here, because some quilts are a work in progress. I could have done more with it, but she was leaving really soon, and I kind of rushed. Well quilting is a journey, an experience.

This was my first attempt at trying to piece together different ideas......always interesting to see earlier quilts. I got the girls to dip their hands in fabric paint and make handprints all along the border.....they were little, and wanted to help. That part really was fun, but so much experimentation with fabric, textures, and ideas sometimes do not work. And as you get more creative you tend to find your way, and the medium becomes much more solid.
My friend still liked it, but now when I look at this, I realize how much more I had to learn.But the handprints were really cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment