Friday, January 28, 2011

Preparations for Smuggling

I finally got started on making some of these Civil War Quilt Squares. Kind of daunting trying to match up fabric colours ,but I think I did okay with the colour schemes. I've noticed that colour choices are limited to small flowers, checks, browns, reds, paisleys, palish blues and pinks, stripes.....no batiks or wild, bold colours.......and grey, of course, and blue....standard ones.  This is Preparations for Smuggling, ( Civil War Quilt Diary by Rosemary Youngs) Letter written by Isabella Buchanan Edmundson, who kept a travel diary throughout the civil war as she was a Confederate spy. Nothing shy and retiring about her.......

"March 16,1864
     Went up Street directly after Breakfast to finish a little job I forgot on yesterday. At one o'clock Mrs. Fackler, Mrs. Kirk and I began to fix my articles for smuggling. We made a balmoral of the Grey coth for unifor, pinned the Hats to the inside of my hoops, tied the boots with a strong list, letting them fall directly in front, the cloth having monopolized the back and the Hats the side. All my letters, brass buttons,money, and etc. inside my  blouse.
       "I left at 2 o'clock, to meet Anna at Mr. Barbiere's and started to walk, impossible that...hailed a hack, rather suspicious of it, afraid of small pox, weight of contrabands ruled....jumped in, with orders for a hurried drive to Cor Main and Vance. Arrived, found Anna not ready, ha to wait for her until 5 0'clock, very impatient, started at last, arrived at Pickets, no trouble at all, although I suffered horribly in anticipation of trouble.
      " Arrived home at dusk, found Mr. Wilson and Harbut, gave them late papers and all news. Mrs. Harbut here to meet her brother , brought Mr. Wilson a letter from Home in Ky. Worn out. 8 yards long cloth, 2 Hats, 1 pair of boots, 1 dozen buttons, letters, and etc., 2 Cords, 8 tassels. Laura, Beulah and Tippie Dora, all in."

No comments:

Post a Comment