Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Bolts of Fabric,1864

This letter was written by Emma Florence Le Conte Furman (18147-1932)

"April 1, 1864
Since my last entry on the 18th many events of inportance have transpired. About ten days ago father returned from Augusta bringing provisions, cloth,leather and tallow to make some candles...thus far we have had nothing but pine firelight after dark. The provisions were flour, corn and bacon.....a few hams, but chiefly the sides.
I am so sick of bacon...it seems impossible for me to eat it. It seems as if I ought to, when father and the rest can eat it and think it good, but indeed my stomach turns against it and I usually make my dinner of hominy, corn bread and butter.
The cloth is six bolts of factory cloth ( unbleached homespun), which father, on account of being a 'Columbia sufferer', got it at the very low price of only $3 a yard. It makes me groan in spirit to think of wearing this heavy stuff as underclothing all the hot summer, but as Aunt Jane eagerly observes: 'it is better than nothing.'
Indeed, Cousin Ada and I agreed we would willingly wear sackcloth, and even ashes if necessary, rather than give up to the Yankees. With all the ports closed we will be obliged to give up every foreign luxury, which are, even now, by their high prices, beyond the reach of all but speculators.
As I sat with Aunt Jane ( sick with measles), we laughingly arranged it all and found we could very well on home products. Our clothing is already mostly of homespun. Our stockings we already knit, and we make our own gloves."

No comments:

Post a Comment