Saturday, April 14, 2012

Antiqued Amish Rail Fence

 When babies come along, everyone seems to make pink and blue and yellow or white or something klike that. I've been reading a lot about the Amish and their quilts and thought it would be neat to make a destressed rail fence in traditional colours. Easy pattern that you can twist and turn, any which way, into desired patterns. Then I took the back fabric and the finished quilt top and stuffed them into a vat of scalding hot tea, let it soak for an hour or so, rinsed ,  dried, ironed, put it with the filler, pinned it up , and was ready to sew up. I used a swag stitch to do the stitching, mimicing the rail fence idea as it made a pattern of fence bars on the border. Easy. Then added a binding in green to offset the antiqued fabrci. Took about a week to do. It's too big to be a baby quilt, and just right to be a lap quilt. 
Decided to add a nice "label" to the back. I have packages of stamped squares that you can embroider , in whatever colours you choose....so used this wedding ring square and added  the year and their names. I hope Christine and her husband like it. I know I love the Amish quilts....

No comments:

Post a Comment