Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Games, Music and Knitting, 1864

Letter written by Isabelle Buchanan Edmundson,July 20th, 1864.(From Civil War Quilt Diary, by Rosemary Youngs)

"Another happy and beautiful morning. iss Lou gave me some cotton to knit Eddie a pair of socks. I began them, but did not get muh done,most of the time playing Backgammon, Chess, or having some Music. Learned Miss L. two pieces: "Brightest Eyes Quick Step", "Rosebund Waltz", she was very apt, but I fear her swimming scholar will ever be adrag to the next art. Our days are as happy as can be, her brother, Lt. Watt Young, came today on short leave, he is rather shy of Ladies, therefore we have not seen much of him. All went to the Pond again, Hal was sick and could  not go in. I believe I am  a greater coward every time I attempt it. Therese is still gaining confidence, and improving. Mrs. Toom Young and Mrs. King came round to see us after tea, we had a very happy evening. Hal and I did not agree very well. I bet I would finish by sock, she bet I would not, so she put the gas out. I lit it again and finished my sock."   

No comments:

Post a Comment